I'm Creating Again

I’m thinking I should probably say something. It’s been awhile since I posted a blog. I moved in February, and didn’t even have internet access for a couple weeks. I’m just now unpacking to the point that I can actually find anything. How did I accumulate so much stuff? And why is it that my house, which is one room plus a basement larger than my apartment, doesn’t seem to hold everything I brought from there to here?

So, yup, I bought a house in a very inexpensive neighborhood in Akron, Ohio. I've been a homeowner since I was 20, so its nice to have a place I can work on and really make my own. I did some remodelling in my apartment, but having only stayed a year, I didn’t exactly reap the benefits. Plus, I felt the landlord was kinda shitty and ungrateful that I put a new kitchen and new floor in his shabby apartment. But maybe I’m imagining it.

Built in 1946, my basic 2 bedroom workers cottage sits on a corner hilltop lot overlooking a wooded valley. Not much has changed since 1946, which is fine by me. Its in one of those neighborhoods so poor that many houses have vanished, but a few are being rehabbed. Most are small and original, maybe a little shabby.

As kitchens go, the new place didn’t quite have one. Apparently, it was so filthy and, um, roach infested, that the seller just ripped most of it out. Which is fine, cuz I have different ideas about kitchens anyway. Fingers crossed that the roaches are gone for good. I reused the vintage steel drainboard and piece of countertop, but other than that the kitchen is new. Not that it was expensive. I probably spent a few hundred bucks on the whole thing. Pretty stylish, though, if I say so myself.

I had a vision of what this little place could be. I usually do. My plan was to neutralize it, move in, and work to make it more stylish over time. Being mostly original, I didn’t have much to “undo.” The floors are naked oak, so weathered that most of the finish is gone. I replaced the kitchen’s original flecked tile with premium vinyl stone-look tiles, which flow nicely to the oak. At some point I’ll do something with the oak, something basic though. Not the whole sand and refinish thing. I painted the walls a pre-mixed off-white and the brown wood casings and windows got painted white. There’s a charming fireplace in tiger maple that I kept wood tone, which is not a thing I often do. I have an idea for the fireplace wall, so stay tuned for that.

Between the move, cleaning up the apartment, and getting this place ready to move in, I started to feel defeated. I really felt as if I was in over my head. But as of now, I’m thinking I’ve turned the corner and I’ll be okay. I’m still not so sure where many things are, including Bob’s ashes, but I’m slowly getting organized. I don’t have a deadline, so I’m just doing a bit at a time.

For as long as I can remember, perhaps my entire adult life, I’ve lived in a “project” house. I have a fondness for properties with no redeeming qualities, and I’m pretty creative and handy. During my time living with Bob, I was always finding fixers, convincing him to buy into my vision, literally, and working to impress him by painting, fixing and building some aspect of our home. When he died, I thought that part of my life was over. But I can’t live and not be creating something. The last year as a renter convinced me of that.

I put all my tools and art in storage, and was considering getting rid of it all. As an apartment dweller, I didn’t really have the ability to use power tools and tote lumber. Even using a cordless screwdriver made me worry I was disturbing the neighbors. But I yearned to create. And to be honest, It bugged me to see deferred maintenance and shabby repairs in my apartment building which, being in an upscale suburb, could have been much more than it was. Missed opportunity.

So I took a leap of faith, drained the bank account, and returned to home ownership. Wish I had thought of it sooner. I used to say to Bob that I felt like I had one more project in me. I had  a desire to simplify. Get back to basics. I didn’t picture it happening under such unfortunate circumstances, but it is kind of exciting. Lately, I’ve done something creative every day. I’m building things again.

I just wish I could share it with Bob. I know he’d be proud.

Comments

  1. Bob would be very proud & bragging about your mad skills in rehabbing, as he always did.
    Good to hear your news? Can I come take a peek? Want to see the "before" interior. Miss our conversations.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Roads and Rage

My Take On The Double-Take