About Last Night
So I spent the night at the old place last night. The plan was to come here and pack some stuff, maybe do a little laundry, then head home. But there's still cable here so I spent the big Friday night watching Bill Maher. Woohoo. Even treated my van to a warm, dry garage stall, so it's still clean from it's wash.
Did ya catch what I said back there? I called the new place home. The apartment is my place now. When asked, I give that address, sure. But when I think of home, that's the place now. It caught me by surprise the first time I did it.
The old place is good. Don't get me wrong. Really good. And thick with memories of amazing times. But lately my meta- experience of it, my experience of the experience of the place, is all about how rewarding it will be to the lives of the new owners.
Looking back at the love, the joy, the pain, the security, the hope- 16 of the 26-almost-27 years with my partner, Bob, who died in January, it all happened here. This was home. The brackets around the most amazing decade and a half.
By the way, I did it again. I said it was.

Comments
Post a Comment