I Went to Goodwill Today
I went to Goodwill today. Not to shop, but to donate.
This isn't a commercial for Goodwill, though I certainly enjoy shopping there. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what their mission is. Something about helping people. That's cool. Truth is I just have too much stuff.
As you may know, I recently moved from a big suburban house to 1 bedroom apartment. In the process I purged tons of furniture and decor. Some I sold (for pennies on the dollar) and some I just sent off to the landfill. Some I placed in storage with the plan to sort thru and purge enough so I didn't need a storage locker after a month or 2.
A couple items I posted online just never sold. Case in point: 2 wooden cafe chairs, $19. Every few days I get the message, “still available?” on Facebook Marketplace. Then nothing more. No follow-up. No lowballs. No detail questions. So today when the inquiry came in, followed by radio silence, I decided I'd had enough.
I went to the storage locker, pulled out the chairs, along with several other items that didn't sell, and I carted them off to Goodwill for donation. They're good items too. The chairs, a Corelle Pure White service for 8, a set of drinking glasses, set of martini glasses, small round table, a crate of kitchen stuff. All good items.
Goodwill has stores and people and when somebody eventually buys something I donated, Goodwill is welcome to the profit. Some people who need help may even benefit from the endeavor.
In saying all this, I realize that in fact I do know what Goodwill’s mission really is: Helping people. Seems simple. I just kinda forgot that in this case I'm the one who needed a little help. Goodwill was there for me, and gave me exactly what I needed. Maybe this is a commercial.
www.Goodwill.org #whygoodwill

Comments
Post a Comment