Its All About Me. I Need To Remember That
Its All About Me. I Need To Remember That.

Sitting at my kitchen table eating
breakfast is an exercise in design that doesn’t work. Not for me anyway. Worse
yet, its my own fault. I designed it.
In my tiny kitchen, I had this idea that I could add an island,
and that it could have fold-down sides to expand it for multiple people. No
problem so far, right?
My previous place had a beloved round pine table that I had
built. The new place is just too small to have a table and chairs in the room
full-time, so the island lifts off its 6 inch base and folds out to become a
round-ish 30 inch high table when guests are here and I have folding chairs
stuffed in the closet to accommodate that use.
The problem is that the fold-down parts knock into my knees,
the tile ends between the front and back legs- slightly different floor
heights- and the stool I use is always in the way when I cook. The folding
chairs come crashing down whenever I access the closet and worst of all I HAVE
NO GUESTS. Ever. Nobody but me has crossed the threshold since I took
possession of the place. Oh, and my oven doesn’t work
I know better than this, in my head anyway. But I just can’t
help having this wistful desire to have people visiting and fawning endlessly
about how superlative my taste is. Everywhere one’s eye falls, some object’s
thoughtful placement will merit praise and thereby validate my talent. At this
point my bruised shins and skinned knuckles won’t matter so much. Ah,
validation.
Reality check. I live alone. I like solitude . I like my
style. My design can uniquely accommodate my needs. That’s why I do it. I’m not one who yearns for holiday gatherings or theme parties. The word “entertaining”
in media always makes me cringe.
Its time to start serving the client again. The guy who pays
the rent. The guy who eats 3 meals a day- alone, needs to get stuff in the
closet without getting clobbered by falling chairs, the guy whose shins could
use a break so the bruises can heal. Nobody’s coming to dinner anyway. Time to
make this place about me.
Comments
Post a Comment