My Changing Attitude About Stuff
My Changing Attitude About Stuff
Recently I went from huge house to small apartment, so in
purging I was fascinated by how nothing I had was worth anything. Worse yet,
nobody wanted my castoffs even at pennies on the dollar.
The flea market is this, but at a massive scale. Everywhere
I went, eager and not so eager vendors displayed their wares- most of which
were just somebody else’s castoffs. Everything seemed to be useless, worn out
or cheap- I mean of low quality. And the trick seemed to be to not make eye
contact with the vendors, lest they see how little I wanted anything there.
Seriously, I didn’t want anything I saw there. I don’t even
know what I was doing there. Even after multiple purges, I still have so much
junk that areas of my place are piled to the ceiling in a sort of Jenga of
stuff- if I tried to take a piece out, the whole thing might crash down.
I have so much extra, it literally makes me angry. So I lash
out, fill a trash bag or 2, and the result? I still just have way too much.
Having said that, though, I have a red plastic cup with short pieces of wood
sawed off in various projects. And If I were to throw it away, I might just
regret it.
My sister and I have talked a lot about organization lately-
which to me is based on the idea that some magic bins can hold my crap so I may
tuck it away for a future that never comes. But that future, the one that never
comes, that’s my sweet spot. That’s my focus, my inspiration. I must be honest
with myself about the uselessness of various items and dispose of them rather
than warehousing garbage, no matter how well organized my storage solutions are
for said garbage.
Easier said than done.
Comments
Post a Comment