Filled With Gratitude Right Now
Just finished a busy Saturday evening of Uber driving, and I had an amazing time. Every rideshare driver has stories, but at the risk of boring anyone, I thought I’d share a few of mine from today.
I met the nicest couple who live right down the street in the most amazing neighborhood located on a private access road- I’m so jealous! -and they were super sweet. I had too much ice coffee so I was too chatty but we had a lovely ride, and I hope they had a great dinner.
On to a nearby restaurant where a lovely couple had completed dinner and were heading home. We talked about age and wisdom. Two things we had in common. She also gave me complete instructions despite GPS doing the same.
And what’s an Uber shift without a vanful of young guys off to the bars. Bar crawlers! WOO!
And under 30 dudes bring out my comic nature, so I told a few jokes, laughed at theirs, and even threw in a “Praise Jesus” at just the right spot in one guy’s sarcastic story of a religious friend “saving” him. Deliciously Ironic coming from me. Also, groups of guys tend to seat the down-lo-mo upfront with me,so props to that. He was a cutie, but a little shy.
Next were a couple of my people, not the homos, not the yuppies from my town, but my real people. Fifty-ish couple, in a life transition, humble but sweet, and about 15 teeth total for the 3 of us. Hehe. Its cool. I have a sort chameleon quality. It’s probably from age. I’ve done so many different things in life I can see myself in just about everyone I meet.
Quiet couple next, off to an outdoor wedding reception. I kept quiet. Upon arriving to the next pickup, I crossed paths with a dead van on a flatbed. Turns out the driver of that van was my fare. He was covered in grease, gravel, and sweat from trying to fix the beast before offering it up to tow and taking his 1st Uber. We had another thing in common. I’d tell ya about it, but its anonymous. (wink, wink)
The next pair made me call it a night. Two good ol boys all spiffied up and off to a night of offering to the ladies that which every man thinks he alone possesses. They may have been father and son. Basically, it was white pitbull on porch, two handsome men in bootcut wranglers, pressed gingham shirts, and too much cologne. My rainbow hat prompted a brief speech about how accepting they are of all different people; good to know. Thanks. Then the younger regaled to the elder with tales of hair pulling and neck kissing which his ladies can’t quite resist. In his defense, he really was sexier than socks on a rooster, but i digress.
I log off early on Friday and Saturday nights. I head home before the drunks head home. Plenty of drivers willing to deal with them. Not my scene. But during the drive home, I had my best experience of the night. I’m even getting a little bit misty-eyed recalling it now.
Just before the road home is a McDonalds on the outskirts of a huge Muslim community. Wanna see an entire traffic jam of soccer moms in hijab? Drive by the nearby mosque on a Friday afternoon. Being ill has made me desperately skinny, so I got 20 McNuggets, Big Mac, and large strawberry shake. Instead of heading home, I headed to the nearby used car lot to do a little after-hours browsing. Big Saturday night for the widower Kuebler.
Just as I parked and dropped out of the van, a black Ford Escape rounded the corner, belching and hissing putrid blue smoke. They parked across the street just as it died. Two very young Muslim dudes emerged and propped the hood. I’ve been there. Hot day, pizza in hand, engine blows 2 miles from home.
So I crossed the street, offered my condolences on the recently departed, looked under the hood with them, and asked, “Do you need a ride somewhere? I’m an Uber driver, and I’m done for the night, but i’ll drop ya somewhere if ya want.” They were skittish. Might have noticed the hat, but I genuinely offered them a ride knowing how it is to need a little help. I told them if they needed me, I’d be across the street for a few minutes. They packed up and followed quickly behind me.
I used to live where I dropped them off, so I shared a brief story of having lived there. See, we are the same. These optimistic young immigrants, and the native-born old queer. The devout Muslims and the staunch atheist. I don’t think the younger guy spoke english but I spoke and gestured to him as I would any person. I dropped them off, sailed off on the final journey around the corner to my place, and was overwhelmed by the emotions of being in this particular moment in my life,and tears rolled down my face the whole way home.
I’ve had a few amazingly positive experiences lately, usually during my darkest hours, and here’s how I did it: I got off my ass, flung myself into the great unknown, and allowed others to be good to me as I politely offered my services to them. From my life changes to witnessing the low points of others’ lives, to schlepping partiers safely to fun I’m not having, I’m open to the best moments life has to offer me.
Just for Today, I got what I needed, without asking or even knowing what it would be. Having gotten that, I am grateful.
Consider this my 12th Step. Just for Today. (wink, wink)

Comments
Post a Comment