Today Is Bob's Birthday

Today is Bob’s Birthday. He would have been 72. One week younger than Donald Trump, as Bob would often point out. But for the first time in decades, stuffed peppers will not be on the menu in honor of the day.

I’m not very sentimental, as people may have noticed. But on this auspicious occasion, I thought I might indulge in some ruminations about Bob’s extraordinary life. I am, after all, the curator of the museum of his memory.

Born in 1946, Bob grew up in 50s suburban America, attended college during the turbulent 60s, was a teacher and musician in the 70s, ran off to Venezuela to teach briefly in the 80s, and got his masters in education and a public school job at age 40. He was 42 and I was 27 when we met, and he was on an upswing. After struggling to establish a career, he was on a 26 year winning streak.

Bob was a world-class athlete and well known runner, having run 77 marathons in under 3 hours. (His personal best was 2:47:47) A few days after we met, he “jogged” 10 miles to visit me at work. My coworkers were impressed. I was charmed.

When my house in the hood was burglarized, he whisked me off to the suburbs. By his 50th Birthday, we were living in the first house I designed and built. We had a nice party there. By his 60th Birthday, we were living in Hudson, in the second house I designed and built. That birthday party coincided with his retirement and was held at Jacobs Field during an Indians game. We had a very nice party at home for his 70th birthday. He loved showing off our home, but we didn’t entertain very often. Not as much as he would have liked.

Today’s festivities will be of a more somber nature. No card, no party, no special meal. Bob will be on my mind even more than usual. Maybe I’ll get a little cake. Even though I’m pretty much off carbs. I don’t really know of anything to do. But I remember Bob today. I honor his life, our life.

I deleted his facebook page recently, so there will be no birthday acknowledgement there, but I assume he will be on the minds of his family today and those who knew his birthday. I keep thinking I have some perfect picture somewhere to post. I guess my birthday tribute to him is to proclaim that, though gone, he is not forgotten. Not by a long shot.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roads and Rage

My Take On The Double-Take

I'm Creating Again