Last Rites- Really Last- Names Withheld (George & Elaine Rusinko)
After more than 6 months I received a condolence card from Elaine Rusinko and a check for $20. It wasn’t really a sympathy card; more a snarky note blaming me for not personally informing her that Bob had died.
Pretty much all Bob’s friends and family followed him on Facebook, where I posted daily updates. A few holdouts like the Rusinkos couldn’t be bothered to get on Facebook or at the least have a family member monitor it for them, so I guess they didn’t find out that Bob had died.
I called Elaine a couple times, and subjected myself to her insulting interrogation and sanctimonious advice, as if she was some sort of expert or had any right to interject an opinion on Bob’s care.
Mind you, She and her husband George were some of Bob’s oldest friends- I mean the relationship was long. They’re pretty fucking old, too, but I digress. And tho Bob often travelled 60 miles or so to visit them, they never took much interest in his same-sex partner; namely me. Heaven forfend.
See, They’re staunch Catholics and Bob cut his losses long ago with that whole nonsense. Meanwhile the Ruisinkos were too busy loving Jesus- who doesn’t even exist- to take any interest in the guy who loved and cared for Bob for almost 27 years. Bob pretended not to notice. But I noticed.
So yup, Bob died and I didn’t call. He didn't have last rights or a catholic funeral so... The Rusinkos didn’t attend Bob’s memorial, tho oddly THEIR best friends were in attendance. They didn’t mention it? I’m thinking this was just a snub. At least Dennis Campbell showed up to snub me. Fat bastard probably smelled the food.
Bob’s dead. I tore up Elaine's fucking check. The friendship you had was with Bob, not me. Sounds like it was one sided anyway.
I’d say rot in hell but hell doesn’t exist. Nor do you so far as I’m concerned. It would break Bob’s heart to see how little you really cared. But “God is love,” right?
Pretty much all Bob’s friends and family followed him on Facebook, where I posted daily updates. A few holdouts like the Rusinkos couldn’t be bothered to get on Facebook or at the least have a family member monitor it for them, so I guess they didn’t find out that Bob had died.
I called Elaine a couple times, and subjected myself to her insulting interrogation and sanctimonious advice, as if she was some sort of expert or had any right to interject an opinion on Bob’s care.
Mind you, She and her husband George were some of Bob’s oldest friends- I mean the relationship was long. They’re pretty fucking old, too, but I digress. And tho Bob often travelled 60 miles or so to visit them, they never took much interest in his same-sex partner; namely me. Heaven forfend.
See, They’re staunch Catholics and Bob cut his losses long ago with that whole nonsense. Meanwhile the Ruisinkos were too busy loving Jesus- who doesn’t even exist- to take any interest in the guy who loved and cared for Bob for almost 27 years. Bob pretended not to notice. But I noticed.
So yup, Bob died and I didn’t call. He didn't have last rights or a catholic funeral so... The Rusinkos didn’t attend Bob’s memorial, tho oddly THEIR best friends were in attendance. They didn’t mention it? I’m thinking this was just a snub. At least Dennis Campbell showed up to snub me. Fat bastard probably smelled the food.
Bob’s dead. I tore up Elaine's fucking check. The friendship you had was with Bob, not me. Sounds like it was one sided anyway.
I’d say rot in hell but hell doesn’t exist. Nor do you so far as I’m concerned. It would break Bob’s heart to see how little you really cared. But “God is love,” right?

Comments
Post a Comment