So I'm buying a House
So I’m buying a house. I never thought I’d say that again, but it turns out there are houses for sale near me that are cheaper than many used cars. Worse yet, if they don’t sell they will eventually be condemned and torn down. The vacant lots in poor neighborhoods attest to this. At some point it just makes no economic sense to preserve homes where values are in decline.
I’ve always had a fondness for homes with “no redeeming qualities,” as I like to say. To say these properties are rough is an understatement. But perhaps there is a diamond in the rough. I’m hoping I found one.
I’ve been reluctant to come right out and say that I’m buying this place. Not because it’s a bad place, but I don’t want to be seen as claiming its mine and then it doesn’t work out. But I now have a contract, and I have the funds. Unlikely that it won’t come together at this point. I’ll probably own it by the end of the year.
A curious dynamic of cheap houses is they are almost impossible to buy. Agents have no urgency to return inquiries. Sellers are often taking a loss, or are out of state. The properties are old so maybe they have violations or back taxes. If they were rented, tenants lack the wherewithal to make repairs. They may even be hostile to leaving. To take this on as a buyer can be daunting.
Where I currently live, a one-bedroom apartment in a fourplex in the suburbs, is nice. Really nice. Especially with the work I put into making it a home. And I’ve been here less than a year. But it’s a rental, and I’ve been a homeowner my entire adult life. I miss being able to really work on a place and reap the reward.
The new place needs work, mostly cosmetic. It's a modest place, in a modest location, and I have a modest budget. But I have a vision of what it could be. I usually do. I can also build furniture and make art again there. I’m excited to get started. Excited and scared.
I had that sinking feeling of, “What have I done?” once the process of completing the sale got going. Buyer’s remorse they call it. Buyers tend to regret offering to buy a property right after offering to buy it. Sellers need to have urgency to make a deal, cuz people get cold feet and back out. Agents know this. By-owner sellers do not. And I’m not immune to chickening out.
Once I had an actual accepted offer, a real contract on paper, I had to sell myself on still being willing to go forward. There was a point I hoped the seller would drag his feet, allowing me to bail. Time is of the essence, as the contract says.
To remind myself what appealed to me in the first place, I spent a day in what is to be my new neighborhood. Starting at the house itself, which I liked even more on my second visit, I Googled grocery stores near me. Turns out I’m near the Whole Foods which is of course in a hip shopping area. On the way, I discovered some newer houses had been built in my ‘hood. Good sign. And while eating my vegan-chicken lunch in the parking lot of Whole Foods, I saw a guy and his kid snapping pics of my little car. Folks were friendly, I won’t starve, and the location is rather idyllic for little old me.
Once again, Bob- who I always called “Mickey”- had provided for me. Financially, this is my last hurrah. This past year has allowed me to grieve, take stock, and get pointed in a new direction. We had such an amazing life together, Mickey and I, here in ritzy Hudson, Ohio. What comes next will be different, scary, risky, and exciting. I must face it alone. But the time we had together will continue to be the greatest gift of my life.
Thanks, Mickey.
I’ve always had a fondness for homes with “no redeeming qualities,” as I like to say. To say these properties are rough is an understatement. But perhaps there is a diamond in the rough. I’m hoping I found one.
I’ve been reluctant to come right out and say that I’m buying this place. Not because it’s a bad place, but I don’t want to be seen as claiming its mine and then it doesn’t work out. But I now have a contract, and I have the funds. Unlikely that it won’t come together at this point. I’ll probably own it by the end of the year.
A curious dynamic of cheap houses is they are almost impossible to buy. Agents have no urgency to return inquiries. Sellers are often taking a loss, or are out of state. The properties are old so maybe they have violations or back taxes. If they were rented, tenants lack the wherewithal to make repairs. They may even be hostile to leaving. To take this on as a buyer can be daunting.
Where I currently live, a one-bedroom apartment in a fourplex in the suburbs, is nice. Really nice. Especially with the work I put into making it a home. And I’ve been here less than a year. But it’s a rental, and I’ve been a homeowner my entire adult life. I miss being able to really work on a place and reap the reward.
The new place needs work, mostly cosmetic. It's a modest place, in a modest location, and I have a modest budget. But I have a vision of what it could be. I usually do. I can also build furniture and make art again there. I’m excited to get started. Excited and scared.
I had that sinking feeling of, “What have I done?” once the process of completing the sale got going. Buyer’s remorse they call it. Buyers tend to regret offering to buy a property right after offering to buy it. Sellers need to have urgency to make a deal, cuz people get cold feet and back out. Agents know this. By-owner sellers do not. And I’m not immune to chickening out.
Once I had an actual accepted offer, a real contract on paper, I had to sell myself on still being willing to go forward. There was a point I hoped the seller would drag his feet, allowing me to bail. Time is of the essence, as the contract says.
To remind myself what appealed to me in the first place, I spent a day in what is to be my new neighborhood. Starting at the house itself, which I liked even more on my second visit, I Googled grocery stores near me. Turns out I’m near the Whole Foods which is of course in a hip shopping area. On the way, I discovered some newer houses had been built in my ‘hood. Good sign. And while eating my vegan-chicken lunch in the parking lot of Whole Foods, I saw a guy and his kid snapping pics of my little car. Folks were friendly, I won’t starve, and the location is rather idyllic for little old me.
Once again, Bob- who I always called “Mickey”- had provided for me. Financially, this is my last hurrah. This past year has allowed me to grieve, take stock, and get pointed in a new direction. We had such an amazing life together, Mickey and I, here in ritzy Hudson, Ohio. What comes next will be different, scary, risky, and exciting. I must face it alone. But the time we had together will continue to be the greatest gift of my life.
Thanks, Mickey.

Happy to find you again! Looks like you found a project to spark your interest. I enjoy reading your writing. Almost cam hear your voice saying the words. Want to meet up for breakfast somewhere?
ReplyDeleteHappy to find you again! Looks like you found a project to spark your interest. I enjoy reading your writing. Almost cam hear your voice saying the words. Want to meet up for breakfast somewhere?
ReplyDelete